Having original language names on the LanguageSelector macro

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:00 AM

Hello,

Firstly, I want to congratulate you for this development. It is awesome.

Secondly, I have started this discussion because I wanted to have the original language names on the LanguageSelector macro. For example, I want my site to have the Spanish translations for all the content, but on the DropDownList LanguageSelector I want the language Spanish to appear like this "Español" which is Spanish in Spanish. I don´t know if I had explained this well.

Another option is to have the countries flags and when you click on them, the language gets changed. But again, I do not know how to implement this.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Juan Reyes

Coordinator
Aug 29, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Hello Juan!

Thank you very much for your nice comments! I am sorry I didn't answer sooner but I have just returned from holidays :)

Regarding your first suggestion, as a matter of fact, when the package was not yet a package but a custom solution, it used to have each language's name written in the language itself as you suggest. When I turned the solution into a package though, I started listing the names of the languages in English, as they appear in the Umbraco back office. I see your point though and I think it's a good idea to have the languages listed the way you describe. I think I can have a version implementing this feature ready in about a week.

The second suggestion would be nice but it is a bit more tricky. I would have to come up with flags for all languages that could be possibly used. I will look into that but I cannot promise anything.

In the meantime, if you are in a hurry and would like to implement these or other features for the site you are working on, you might want to try downloading the source code and recompiling the dll of the package with your customisations. If you do so, you would then just need to replace the package's dll (Dimi.Polyglot.dll) in the bin directory of your site, with the one you compiled (I would keep a backup of the original though :)).

I hope that this helps! Let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Dimitri

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Hi Dimitri!

Thanks a lot for your response. I hope you've enjoyed your time off.

I'll try what you told me.

Kind regards,

Juan

Coordinator
Sep 2, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Hi Juan!

Yes, time off is always fun! :)

I have just released version 1.12 of the package which, amongst other improvements, lists languages in the drop down listbox with their native name, as discussed.

Cheers

Dimitri